W# 1: Prescriptive Practice in Psychiatric Nursing
To complete this discussion
- Compare the Ted Talk video (see link & attached video transcript) to the NY Times article by Danial Carlat, Mind Over Meds, and answer the following questions:
Ted Talk Video link: https://hls.ted.com/talks/1714.m3u8?preroll=newshortintro_053119&qr
1. How do you view the role of psychiatric medication in the promotion of patient well-being?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a psychopharmacologist versus also integrating psychotherapy in your practice?
3. What does the literature say (that is, support for or lack of evidence) for integration of therapy and prescribing by the same clinician (APRN or MD)?
– Carefully read the questions presented.
– Reflect on the assigned materials from this week and consider experiences from your own practice to support your ideas. Please use proper citations and APA format.
– You may wish to refer to outside sources as well to support your statements.
Background: I am currently enrolled in the Psych Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program (APRN), I am a Registered Nurse, and I work in a Psychiatric Hospital.