In this written assignment, you will address health-related information on the Internet.
Step 1 Share an example of a time in your practice when you have had concerns about information that a patient (or family member, friend, or you) has obtained from the Internet.
If you have not had such an experience, go to a consumer health information website, such as WebMD, and look up a health condition that you typically see in your practice or have seen in your clinical experiences. Consider how a patient might use this information as you answer the questions in Step 2.
Step 2 In a one-page paper, describe safety concerns related to people who seek health-related information on the Internet and explain how to evaluate the quality of health-related information on the Internet. Use the following questions as guidelines for your paper:
- What was the perceived health problem, and how did you or the patient research this problem?
- What health-related information was obtained?
- Was the information accurate?
- How did (or might) the patient interpret the information?
- What did (or might) the patient do with the information obtained?
- What actual or potential harm could have happened as a result of the information?
- How can you evaluate the quality of health-related information on the Internet?
Cite any sources in APA format.