Discussion: Treatment of Sleep/Wake Disorders
The power of sleep to heal the body cannot be underestimated. Most research indicates that 7–8 hours of sleep are a minimum that people need to stay healthy. Clients who come to the PMHNP’s office frequently complain of sleep problems. It is estimated that 10–20% of patients report some type of sleeping problem.
In this Discussion, you will analyze the diagnostic criteria and evidence-based psychotherapy and psychopharmacologic treatment for sleep/wake disorders.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- By Day 5 of Week 9, your Instructor will have assigned you a sleep/wake disorder, which will be the focus of your original post for this Discussion. ****NIGHTMARE DISORDER*****
- Review the Learning Resources.
- Explain the diagnostic criteria for your assigned sleep/wake disorder.
- Explain the evidenced-based psychotherapy and psychopharmacologic treatment for your assigned sleep/wake disorder.
- Describe at what point you would refer the client to their primary care physician for an additional referral to a neurologist, pulmonologist, or physician specializing in sleep disorders and explain why.
- Support your rationale with references to the Learning Resources or other academic resource.